Easy Wood Distressing DIY

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I wanted to have a distressed-looking mirror hanging above my TV. I found this old mirror in my storage closet that hung in my brother's room growing up (and I think they rarely looked in it :). It has a basic oak frame that I had painted a light yellow which is what you see here. I taped around the mirror so that it would be easier to clean up (even though I still got paint everywhere).

The supplies that I used are:
painter's tape
black spray paint (flat)
ivory spray paint (satin)
candle
sand paper or sanding block

Here is the before look:

The paint will clean up off the mirror but I put the tape around the edges so I wasn't trying to get into the corners with a cloth.

I took the mirror out back and spray painted the whole thing black. This is the color that will show through after sanding, giving it the distressed look. If you want your finished product to be dark, then use a light color of paint first so that you still get that color contrast after sanding. 

I took this candle, very basic, and... 

smeared some of the wax along the frame in places where I wanted it to look distressed, especially corners. 

Then I spray painted the whole frame with ivory.  I had to do a few coats to cover up the black. Make sure you do this in a well-ventilated area or outside!!!

After the paint dries, you take your sand paper or sand block and run it along the areas that you want the distressed look. The candle wax that you had smeared on and spray painted over will come off easily, revealing the black layer of paint underneath. And there you have it! My mirror looks like someone kicked the crap out of it and that is just what I wanted. (And please pardon my little guy. I couldn't keep him away from it while I was taking pictures).


I love it and hung it above my TV just where I wanted it. This was so much easier, cheaper and a lot more fun than going out and buying a new mirror. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment